After playing many hours Dayz and after finding my way in this apocalyptic world I would like to share with you readers my personal thoughts about this wonderful mod.
In my life I’ve played many games and only one can compete with Dayz regarding the intensity of emotions aroused: EVE Online.
I am a veteran of EVE Online and in Dayz I found again the tension in dealing with another player, the adrenaline rush killing an opponent, the terror of not knowing what you expect in a few moments, the gratification of exploring unknown places. In a few months Dayz has matched subscriptions of EVE Online (the sandbox for excellence) and this can not be an accident.
Many points are in favor of Dayz:
1) Even alone you can be successful . This was true for EVE online a few years ago but after the changes in the mechanics of the game is no longer possible to play EVE Online and be successful alone.
2) Dayz is very real while in EVE online have recently introduced the human characters and in any case there is still no interaction between them.
3) In Dayz you lose everything if you die, but it is easy to regain the lost items. In EVE there is insurance but to be competitive you must have items of high value and losing a ship several billion worth is frustrating.
4) many other reasons that it is better not to face here;)
In DayZ website are well highlighted three steps:
Equip does not require further action such as building, mining, learn skills, experience points, etc.
You just have to go somewhere and search without being seen by zombies or survivors. What really matters is the player and not the character.
You can choose to only kill the zombies or the other survivors.
You can kill only those who have good equipment or you can kill everyone on sight. You can even choose to remain in the shadows and avoid any kind of encounter. In Dayz if you meet an hostile group the fight is more balanced, is a real gunfight while in EVE Online is ALWAYS all against one, and becomes only a matter of time and luck if you die or live.
In Dayz is very easy to kill someone with better gear than yours.
In Dayz you can live without any special features. You only need some matches, a hatchet and you can live forever. Also only surviving is interesting because you have to find food and water and this implies an interaction with the world of Dayz.
Finally, there is no endgame in Dayz … you just have to survive as long as possible. No matter the equipment you own … what matters is the minute that you can be in the game without dying.
This is Dayz … this is my story
You were killed by zombies. You were killed by bandits. You were killed by other survivors even just spawned. you need some advice .. Here they are:
- Try to understand where you are after you spawn. Keep in mind that you will spawn on the east or south coast. When you spawn in the lower right corner will appear the name of the nearest place. In doubt, go right.
- Keep an eye on indicators of hunger and thirst. Green is good, red is bad, very bad is flashing
- The canteen of water are consumed with each use and can be filled in lakes and / or wells
- Hold down SHIFT to walk silently, double-SHIFT to make it permanent.
- Clouds always move from west to east.
- F key to cycle through weapons and weapons mode (auto/semi).
- mouse wheel to cycle between the primary and secondary weapons.
- G key to open gear menu.
- Use right mouse click on hatchet when near a tree to harvest wood.
- Use right mouse click on matches to set a fireplace. Then on the fireplace menu you can fire it up.
- You can gut animals only if you have a knife.
- Cooked meat give you 800 blood.
- Road flares can be used to distract the zombie.
- Head to the nearest city/village and search for basic equipment (at least 1 drink, 1 food, 1 makarov, 2 clips, 2 bandages, 1 flares, 1 chemi lights, 1 hatchet, 1 knife, 1 matches, 1 heat pack, 1 morphine, 1 painkiller).
- When you have the basic equipment go in a forest.
- Search for better weapons in Fire Stations (biggest cities), Deer Stands (in the forests) and Airfields (SW – NE – NW).
- Search for better equipment (compass, map, binocular, bigger backpack). Barns are good places for that.
- Prefer quiter weapons (Military weapons are louder – Civilian weapons are quiter). If you fire with an AKM all the zombies in a km range will head to you.
- Keep your time and make all your moves stealthy.
- Don’t walk on streets.
- Act on the assumption that there might be someone near you, watching you, aiming at you.
- Don’t stay on the doors, on the stairs and open terrains.
- Always check the corners.
- Always check all the rooms in the building assuming that there is someone ready for an ambush.
- If you shoot someone his friend/friends can be just around the corner. Sneak away quickly, find a near hiding place and listen carefully for a couple of seconds. If you don’t hear nothing go back and loot.
- DayZ is a survivors game…who shoots first lives.
- Do not run out of drinks and food.
- DON’T TRUST ANYONE!!
- DON’T TRUST ANYONE!!
- DON’T TRUST ANYONE!!
DayZ is a mod of ArmA and you need to own ARMA II: Combined Operations, that’s both ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead. You can’t use hacked ArmA so if you want to play DayZ BUY it on Steam for only 24,99 €.
The easy way to install and play DayZ is a nice little tool called DayZ Updater. Download it from HERE, extract in a directory of your choice and execute.
Insert the path of ArmA OA (Steam users can find it into \Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\), click “Check for update”. DayZ Updater will check for all the necessary files and will extract it into the right directory. Then you can click “Play”. That’s all.
This is the step by step procedure for STEAM users:
1) Download both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead through Steam.
2) Run the game once before proceeding.
3) Download and setup DayZ Updater
4) Update ArmA to the latest beta patch from HERE
5) Copy arma2oa.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\Beta to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead
6) Go to Steam and right click Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, go to ‘Properties’, ‘Set Launch Options’, add “-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;CA;@DayZ -world=empty -nosplash” without quotes in the target line and click OK.
7) Start DayZ Updater – check for update to update DayZ Mod
8) Click “Play”
1) When you update ArmA to the beta patch shut down Steam
2) Always start Steam and Dayz Updater with “adminstrator rights”
3) you can add “ -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7″ after “-nosplash” in the launch properties in step 6 if you have a quad core